Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Using up the black paint.

Every room in every childcare centre/kinder/family daycare has that one bottle of black paint that is still nearly full to the top. It could be hiding at the back of the cupboard. It might be on the top shelf you can't reach. It may be in the store room tucked up the back. Yesterday, I took one brave step for early childhood educators and unleashed the black paint from the cupboard.

Tips for using black paint
  • Isolate it. Use JUST black, or let the children add black after the other colours of paint have dried. Or before the fact. This prevents the black blending with other colours and turning out a mushy browny colour (unless of course, this is your aim)
  • Use it liberally. If you're going to unleash the power of black paint, do it in full force. This is especially important if you dont often allow children to use black paint
  • USE SMOCKS, think of the parents complaints if their childs green jumper goes home black.
We did a few paintings on small card

 And then we started to paint the whole peices of card in thick black paint
Inside I was thinking NOOOO, YOURE WASTING MY CARDBOARD AND BLACK PAINT! DONT PAINT THEM ALL BLACK, YOUR PARENTS WILL FROWN AT ME WHEN I SHOW THEM!
But luckily, my inner ECE thought, its about the process not the product.
But the children suprised me.
Apparently, I was worrying for nothing.
Duh, Justine. theyre night skies.
What a silly grown-up I am.
I suggested we should add some stars to our night sky

So we added some glitter for the stars.

And Voila! Night skies.
I hole punched them all in the top and threaded fishing line through and plan to hang them tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment