Friday, July 1, 2011

Squishy Squashy Goo

GOO, GLORIOUS GOO!

A few days ago, I made up a whole heap of cel-mix and made it quite runny.
I placed it in all sort of jars and pots and bowls and also in some squeezy bottles

I added some green food dye and blue glitter to half, and left the other half plain so the children could see how the green goo made the plain goo go green too (try saying that ten times really fast!)

I placed some table covers over the tables ( a VERY VERY VERRYYY sensible thing to do) so when we were done I could just bundle up the table cover and put it straight to the laundry basket.
And we pretty much just let the children go loose. I grabbed some little bowls and pots from the home corner, and some wooden spoons and other utensils from the playdough tool box and added them to the table, which provided the children who didnt want to touch the goo with their hands the opportunity to participate too.
We did this as our 'group time' activity to give the children a chance to try something new in a group environment

The only sound in the whole room was the squelching of glue and the occasional laugh.
The children were pretty in awe of this goo. I dont think they realised it was the same stuff they hate getting on their hands when we do pasting (we often use cel-mix as glue) Its amazing the difference green food dye makes!
The children mostly used the goo on their own, I think this was because they have never had the opportunity to take part in an experience like this, and because it was the first time we had done it.




This was definitely a hit with the children, and it is such a wonderful sensory experience.
Even as an adult, I find it so satisfying to stick my hands in a bucket of goo and give it a squish. It feels satisfying! 
The good thing about this goo is that it will be good for 2-3 days before it starts to go lumpy in which case you can always add water, as long as the goo hasnt gotten to dirty. I only plan to keep it until tomorrow afternoon because I dont want the children passing around colds by wiping their nose on the back of the hand and then putting it into the goo, but if you were doing it at home, you could use it for 4-5 days as long as you kept on adding a bit of water when it starts to get lumpy!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! There is nothing like putting your hands in a bunch of ooey gooey fun! I'm impressed that your children just dived right in; sometimes I see hesitation if they haven't ever done anything like this. Thanks for the post and pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was suprised too! I thought the majority wouldnt want to touch it. I guess peer pressure prevailed.

    ReplyDelete