Saturday, June 18, 2011

Drawing.

On Friday, we busted out the textas. Normally the question "Can we use the textas?" is followed by a sharp intake of breath and a pained face. We have limitied textas and previously when we have let the kids use the them, they have done one of the following:

  1. Leave the lids off 
  2. Bash the inky bit of the texta so hard onto the paper it snaps or never works again
  3. Scribble all over the table when theyre not focusing
  4. Put them in their mouth
  5. Draw on each other
So I was pretty reluctant.
But then I remembered how much I loved drawing with textas when I was a young-en. So I was brave and said yes. 
Before we sat down and started drawing, before I even got the textas down from the shelf, I told the kids this: We dont have many textas, so they're very special. We only use them when we are going to draw special things, and we have to take it turns to use them.

It was my turn first. My theory was that if I went first and modeled how to use the textas appropriately, and defined what a 'special drawing' was and what my expectations were, the children would be able to then use the textas appropriately and perhaps draw something they would be proud to hang up on the wall or take home.
Let me also add that usually our children just scribble on the paper, then leave it on the table and deny that it was them that drew it.

Unfortunately I dont have a picture of what I drew but I do have some pictures of what some of the children drew.
We got the lovely drawing. And then my colleague jumped in and had a turn as you can see in the corner and below.
And then other children had a go


We encouraged the children to talk about what they were going to draw before they drew it, and to keep up a running commentary of what they were drawing as they did it.

I feel that this experience was WAYYYYY more productive and meaningful then our previous attempts at texta drawings. 
And I had fun too :D

No comments:

Post a Comment